ND State Commission on National and Community Service
The State Commission's mission is to provide opportunities for North Dakotan's of all ages and backgrounds to engage in service that addresses the state and nation's educational, public safety, environmental, and other human needs to achieve direct and demonstrable results and to encourage all North Dakotans to engage in such service. In doing so, the State Commission will foster civic responsibility, strengthen the ties that bind us together as a people, and provide educational opportunity for those who make a substantial commitment to service.
The North Dakota Workforce Development Council - Commission on National and Community Service (State Commission) was authorized under Executive Order 2002-02.3 signed by Governor John Hoeven, July 19, 2002.
The North Dakota Workforce Development Council - State Commission on National and Community Service's purpose is to foster a bi-partisan, state-level commitment to advancing service initiatives in North Dakota. The State Commission plays a leadership role in developing and communicating a statewide vision and ethic of service and promoting that vision throughout the State.
The State Commission has 15 voting and 2 Ex-officio members. The membership is appointed by the Governor.
The Commission's responsibilities to the Governor include:
- Development of a three-year comprehensive national and community service plan and establishment of State priorities;
- Review of subtitle C programs and preparation of application to the Corporation;
- Preparation of Service Learning applications;
- Administration of the AmeriCorps State formula grant program;
- Evaluation and monitoring;
- Technical assistance to local nonprofit organizations and other entities in planning programs, applying for funds, and implementing and operating high-quality programs;
- Program development assistance and training;
Recruitment and placement of AmeriCorps members;
- Assist in the provision of health and child care benefits to program participants;
- Make recommendations to the Corporation;
Coordinate activities with other State agencies;
- Coordinate with volunteer service programs across the State.
2012 Meeting Dates
January 18, 2012
April 18, 2012
July 18, 2012
October 17, 2012
President's Volunteer Service Awards (link)
Grant Opportunities (link)
Presidential Freedom Scholarship Program (link)
Student Conservation Association (link)
Student Loan Forgiveness for Pubic Charities (link)